Monday, November 10, 2008

Crafty Mama

OK, last night I had one of the most frustrating experiences that anyone who has sewn anything can completely relate to. For years I have said that I will make Christmas stockings for Miguel and me. I have put this task off because of the time-suck that is being a teacher. This year I do not have that burden so I thought that this year would be the perfect time to do this since I did not have to put my family on hold to make and grade finals and deal with coaching and all that other stuff that goes into working in a school. I bought the fabric and made the pattern and everything. Miguel bought me a sewing machine that does embroidery and I wanted to put our names on the top. I started Miguel's, the font I was using turned out to be terrible, I tried a different font, it stitched out wrong. I moved on to my stocking, I got to the LAST LETTER and all the bobbin thread spun out and I had to take the bottom half of the machine apart to extract what looked like a Sesame Street monster out of the machine. Isa's font was too big for the top of the stocking. At that point I had been working on 3 names (a task of about 20 minutes) for over 2 hours. I took a shower and went to bed where I had nightmares that some thread-laden being was chasing me down a hallway and making my baby cry.

I'm ready to try this again at nap time today but I'm only giving it 1 shot. If this does not work I'm putting it on hold until Miguel can deal with Isa and I have some more patience. The agony of being creative!!! If these stockings turn out they will be awesome though. Here's hoping!

No comments: