Wednesday, January 7, 2009

It takes the cake

I don't know how many of you have heard about this, but I found this recipe for what I consider the best chocolate cake.

I found this on the Coca-Cola website after I had heard about it. I use generic EVERYTHING but I made Miguel go out and buy Coke for this one and it was definitely worth it!

CAKE
2 c sugar
2 c all-purpose flour
1 1/2 c small marshmallows
1/2 c. margarine
1/2 c veg. oil
3 T cocoa
1 c Coca-Cola
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 c buttermilk (you can make your own by adding 1 3/4 T cream of tartar to 1 c milk and letting it stand for 10 min.)
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract

FROSTING (yes, this blessed soul submitting this included frosting to die for also)
1/2 c butter
3 T boboa
6 T Coca-Cola
1 box (16 oz.) confectioners' sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 c chopped pecans (I don't add these but I bet they're wonderful!!)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a bowl sift sugar and flour. In a sauce pan add marhsmallows, mix butter, oil, cocoa, and Coke. Bring to a boil and pour over dry ingredients. Blend well. Dissolve baking soda in buttermild just before adding to batter along with eggs and vanilla extract, mixing well. I use a whisk and do this all by hand to make sure it all gets mixed without overbeating. Pour into a greased 9x13 pan and bake 35-45 min. Remove from the oven and FROST WHILE HOT!!


To make frosting, combine butter, cocoa, and Coke in a sauce pan. Bring to a boil and pour over confectioners' sugar, blending well. Again I use a whisk. Add vanilla and pecans (if you're adding pecans). Spread over hot cake. It doesn't look like enough but it is.

This is the best chocolate cake in my humble opinion. I was not a major chocoholic until I got pregnant with my daughter, she's a year old now and I can't get over this crazy chocolate thing. So thank you to Lee Avery Catts and the Junior League of Atlanta as well as the Coca-Cola website for this awesome recipe!

1 comment:

Colin Roust said...

I'll vouch for this recipe. My initial reaction was that Coke cake sounded like an awful, too-sweet dessert. But it turned out great! I'm glad that we finally have the recipe...